Thursday, February 16, 2012

Ms. Darkly in the Dorm with Her Computer

Sorry for my absence chickadees, and by chickadees I mean the one person who is probably reading this.

I learned something tonight and it is my desire to share it with you. No, your significant other may not watch. My writing tips are intimate. Foreplay, anyone?

Currently, I am a slave in the hallowed halls in an institution of higher learning. Yes, college. Most things are enjoyable but there are a few things I dislike.

1. Group work
2. Slow walkers
3. Having to post my response to student formulated questions on an education forum for a class.

I do love the class, History of Education in America. The instructor is from a small town in Tennessee, has her eyebrow pierced, and is a drama nerd who quotes Fight Club. I think that encapsulates her nicely. She mixes her grad student vibe to relate, sense of humor, and honesty to be one kicking teacher. All those things combined made me accept that I would read the summaries of education articles and respond to questions posed by my peers.

Here's where the action gets going.

One of the articles was about how schools are thinking of doing away with recess. My first thought?

Someone was beat up on the playground and now everyone will be punished.

That playground is apparently the international market and that child that got beat up is America and those being punished are the Joe Smiths who make this country go round.

In answering the question(s) I let myself get carried away. The assignment says to write a paragraph. Well I wrote two. The answer was insightful, it was passionate, more importantly it was accurate. I drew examples from my personal life, then I used a double meaning to transition into my next point, and finally I put a small irony cherry on top. Answering that question felt amazing.

Here's the part where I turn my trick...over to you.

Take absolutely every opportunity you are given and write your heart out. This assignment I was given was a four point assignment that will only be worth ten percent of my grade. Not much. But that doesn't matter. What matters is that I wrote what I felt in my heart. There is no doubt in my mind that the other students in my class will have a strong reaction to what I wrote. That's because I had a strong reaction to what I wrote. People who wait for the "right moment" to write often miss out. As a writer, you hold the power to create that special, prefect, dare I say it again, right moment to write.

Since it is a little late and I'm feeling especially spent after that burst of activity, I'll present some great examples.

Texting your mother? Use a simile to tell her how you feel.
    -It's simple really, but it's a little thing that goes a long way. Talking to your mother that is, she gives great advice and always wants to be supportive.

Emailing your boss? Try to avoid a word you overuse
   -Take this opportunity to rediscover an old word, but dear god don't use a thesaurus. It takes the fun out of it.*

Chatting** with a member of the opposite sex? Everyone loves a classy and clever double entendre.
  -Notice how I said classy and clever. Keep that in mind. Anything else and you're coping out and not making the most of you opportunity.

As always, I hope you enjoyed our time together. Please don't be offended that I'm not the cuddling type.

Sincerely,
S. Darkly


*I have nothing against Thesauri. But the point is to explained your mind, not to sound like a pompous jerk.

**You're right. Chatting isn't writing. But why can't a good conversation one night lead to a stellar dialogue in your short story the next?





2 comments:

  1. Group work is the bane of my existence. It's especially annoying for English majors. DON'T THEY KNOW WE'RE ANTISOCIAL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should! The professors were English students at one point...

      Delete