Saturday, March 31, 2012

Not Quite Finished Yet

Kudos to whoever knows where I got the title for this post.

I decided I wanted to share a little list of novels, short stories, and poems that I find particularly inspiring and wonderful. They provide readers with entertainment and writers with some terrific examples of the writing we should all emulate. Obviously, this will be the first of many.

1. The Great Gatsby
    F. Scott Fitzgerald






No I could not have only posted ONE photo. That would not have been enough. Normally I am not a fan of novels being adapted into movies but there are some exceptions, and this is the greatest. Read this novel and then read about the life of the Fitzgerald's, both Scott and Zelda. It's a tragic love story much like The Great Gatsby and ironically enough, Fitzgerald penned them both. 

Aside from my crazy infatuation, this is a splendid novel that is a fairly frank depiction of the life that consumed America in the 1920's. Both sad and lovely this masterpiece gives all literature fanatics what we really want, one hell of a story. 

2. A Farewell to Arms
    Ernest Hemingway
Yes, I love the Jazz Age. No, all of my recommendations are not from this time period. 
A lot of Hemingway's work revolves around the same idea of war wounds man mentally or mentally and physically, there is a girl somewhere, the end is tragic and involves the rain. How then do you ask can I love this and suggest it? Because it's beautiful. It's two books in one. You get the love story between Henry and Catherine and the war novel where as a reader, you question humanity. As a writer, you question how a mere mortal created this dream of literature. 
That's Hemingway, clacking along on his typewriter. 

3. The Phantom Tollbooth
    Norton Juster
This book is the greatest manipulation of the English language ever. Milo is the central character and on a day when he decides he has nothing to do, a magical tollbooth arrives to show him the magic of every day. He travels through a magical land and, spoiler alert, realizes how amazing the world truly is. The manipulation mastery is found in every chapter of the book. My personal favorite is when Milo and his companion Tock, a watchdog (a dog with a watch for a stomach) who ticks because his parents misnamed he and his twin, are driving passed an island called Conclusions and the only way to get there is by jumping. Get it? This is pushed as a children's book but I think that's a little absurd. For example, there is a scene where everyone in Dictionopolis must speak kindly because they eat their words, literally. They feast on their words. See what I mean? 
That's Tock. Honestly, I don't even know if children today know that's what a clock can look like. They expect to see digital numbers. 

4. Anyone Lived in a Pretty How Town
    E.E. Cummings
My absolute favorite poet ever. I have a lovely little anthology that have his poems separated by theme, so love, death, religion and it gives a little biography as to when and why these themes were particularly important. This poem is wonderful because it tells the love story of two people. But, it isn't in your face about their relationship, you have to put the pieces together. It's truly brilliant. 
And wasn't he attractive? 

5. The Veldt
    Ray Bradbury
For a lady who loves short stories I sure put a lot of novels, huh? Then I give a super random short story? Jeez! Well, read this short story then you'll know why I included it. I'm not saying it's the most important short story ever written, but it has some terrific qualities. First, this piece is still relevant despite being written over half a century ago. Find an author who says they don't want their writing to transcend time, and I'll show you a liar. Secondly, you know so much about this family and it only takes you about five pages depending on where you read it. It's amazing the way Bradbury introduces you to an entire world that you know so much about with relatively little information. It's minimalist writing at its best. 








1 comment: